This is a topic that I have googled many times. After having baby #3, I am eager to shed the pregnancy pounds like many moms out there. Unfortunately for myself, I tend to gain a lot of weight when I’m pregnant. I am to blame as I feast when I’m pregnant. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. (except for the regular food restrictions that your doctor recommends i.e. raw meat, deli meat, sashimi, etc.) When I’m pregnant, I get super hungry and if I don’t feed myself, I feel like I’m going to die! So, I ate! But you know what, that’s ok, because you’re supposed to gain weight when you’re pregnant. Your body is creating a human being with organs, a circulatory system, bones and all! Pretty amazing! I still can’t believe that I popped out three of these! So once you’ve popped out babe, give yourself a pat on the back because you did well mama! It’s not easy, the nine months, carrying that bundle of joy in your tummy.
Now, after your doc has given you the ok to start exercising again, you can tackle those post pregnancy pounds. As soon I was all recovered and healed, my husband and I tried our best to get active again.
We tried badminton. I think this really helped. Really got our heart rates going. I heard that interval training is really good for you. For those of you who don’t know what interval training is, Wikipedia says its, ” a type of physical training that involves a series of low- to high-intensity exercise workouts interspersed with rest or relief periods.” This helped us knock off a couple of pounds. With a new born, it began to get hard to find time to go to the courts so that didn’t last very long. It was getting hard to find a someone to watch all the kids while we went out.
We also tried shakes as meal replacements. This seemed to work for a bit as well especially for my hubby. He never had breakfast anyways so at least he was having some form of nourishment rather than none. For me I was left hungry and dehydrated so that didn’t work out so well. When moms are breastfeeding it is very crucial that they drink constantly throughout the day to prevent their milk supplies from decreasing. (Kellymom.com has some great info on this topic). It’s also important to have a well balanced diet.
I also tried exercising more! I did Zumba on the Wii. This was good because it was in the comfort of my own home. I could do it while baby was sitting in her bouncer. It was free and I could do it anytime! Although it made me feel good and I felt like I had more energy, the scale results didn’t change. I enjoy walking outside with the baby in the carrier, but it was cold outside and rainy so I had to find things to do inside. I also tried going on our elliptical at home which just made me really sweaty.
I also tried the South Beach Diet. But the low carbohydrate diet just made me really weak.
As you can see, I tried many things.
Then I learned that weight loss is generally 75% diet and 25% exercise. Studies have shown that people lost more weight by watching what they ate rather than exercise alone.
Now I follow these simple rules. I eat to my hunger and drink plenty of water throughout the day. The pounds are starting to come off. Not quickly though. It’s very gradual which is a healthy weight loss.
- Focus on eating plenty of vegetables. Half my meal is composed of vegetables, usually prepackaged salads that you can get from Safeway. It’s already washed and comes with all the toppings. I just go easy on the dressing. It’s easy to prepare.
- The other half of my meal is meat. Usually a frozen meat from Costco like chicken, beef or fish. I know frozen foods aren’t the healthiest but it beats ordering a meal from McDicks.
- I eat two eggs for breakfast. Keeps me full till lunch time.
- I drink plenty of water. I still have my coffee with sugar in the morning but I try really hard to avoid drinking sugar. I like to have lemon in my water to give it some flavor and it looks really pretty too!
- If I need a snack I go for fruits, cheese and grain bread. I love grain bread!
- I avoid buying any food that’s in a box like cookies etc.
- Avoid foods that are white like white rice, white pasta, and white bread.
I love my desserts though especially cake and key lime pie! It’s ok to indulge once in a while. If you are trying to lose weight, some experts say it’s ok to have a cheat day. Most people chose Saturday. Just know that if you indulge, it will hinder your progress.
Hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any recommendations.