Having 3 kids, it’s hard to get out to the gym on a regular basis. With all the errands, house chores, and activities, it can be a challenge to find time to sneak away from the kids and get your exercise. When you put aside time for exercise, it’s a big endeavour. You have to find childcare. You have to get the kids ready and make sure they have all the things they need such as iPads to keep the busy at grandma’s, extra clothes incase they spill on themselves, and snacks incase they get hungry.
Here are other reasons why I dislike going to the gym sometimes:
- You have to look somewhat put together– I don’t want to go to the gym with a raggedy t-shirt and messy hair. (I’m speaking for myself. If you don’t care how you look, good on you.)
- You have to know the different exercises. – I have done group workouts and I sometimes feel embarrassed when I’m not familiar with the exercises. (That’s just me.)
- Sweaty equipment- need I say more?
- Expense– As moms we already have tons of things to pay for. A gym membership can be costly!
- Other people watching you- I’m not going to lie. I’m very self conscious. At the gym people can see you struggle and hear you grunt etc etc.
Don’t get me wrong, working out at the gym is a great option for many people. They have trainers there that can spot you and make sure you are performing the exercises safely and correctly. You also have the social aspect of meeting people who are also trying to stay fit and lose weight. If it works for you, great!
Here are the reasons why I’m liking my home gym:
- You don’t have to leave the house– I’ve been waking up early when all the kids are asleep so I can have my quiet time. All I do is put on comfortable clothes and runners, head to my workout zone and get started.
- Saves you time– don’t need to drive anywhere.
- Free– Free is always good right?
- Comfort– when you exercise at home, you’re comfortable. You don’t have to worry about anyone looking at you. You can make loud grunts if you want and no one would hear you. (Not that I do this, lol!)
- Cleanliness- you can feel assured knowing that you are using equipment that only you have touched.
Here are the 4 things you need to start your at home gym:
A large enough space
an exercise mat or yoga mat
a pair of weights– I got mine from walmart for 8 bucks each (Canadian funds)
a smart phone- so you can use a fitness app. I’ve been using a free fitness app called workout trainer.
Here’s why I’m lovin’ workout trainer:
- It’s free! However, you can upgrade to their PRO version if you want which you pay annually for.
- It has video– the exercise is demonstrated for you so you know how to do it
- it has a timer– so you don’t need your own
- lots of different categories to chose from- i.e. weight loss, cardio, yoga, walking, interval timers, and body weight
- it tracks how often you workout and reminds you when you need to workout
- intensity– you can choose the level of intensity whether it’s casual, moderate or intense. I really like this feature.
- you can also browse your workouts based on time– let’s say you only have 10 minutes to workout. You can choose a workout that’s only 10 minutes long.
- favourites– I also like how you can save your favourite workouts so that you never have to search for them. Saves you time.
I really like the way I feel after a workout through the workout trainer app by Skimble. The next day my muscles feel sore so I know I’ve had an effective workout. I also like how I can switch up my exercise routine. I usually like to do a strength training and cardio combo for a total of 30 minutes. There’s a lot of workouts to choose from so you won’t get bored. This app is available on android or iPhone.
If you’re like me and you’re strapped for time, but it’s really important for you to get your exercise, try starting your own at home gym. It doesn’t take much to start and you can still get a really good workout! Try it! If you know of any other fitness apps that work well for you, let me know about it!